Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Sacredness Of The Ordinary

Sacredness Of The Ordinary

      This picture may look like an ordinary picture of two brothers on the beach, however, it is much more than that.  It shows how connected we are.  It also shows how similar we are even though we are six years apart. It brings back a lot of memories of when we were younger.  We have a connection like no other. Our connection is similar to that of twins.  We both share the same love of basketball.  We share the same love of surfing our favorite beach every summer.  In the picture it shows how much fun we have at the beach.  It represents such a special place to us. And a place where we got to grow up together. I always looked forward to basketball season to watch him play, because he was such an inspiration to why I play basketball.
       This year is a turning point for us. I am looking forward to him getting to see me play.  I only hope I can surprise him with following in his footsteps.  They are big shoes to fill.  I only hope I can make his as proud of me as I alway have been of him.  During his sophomore year, he had two knee surgeries, that really worried me.  He had a condition which gave him severe fractures in his knee cap.  The doctors had to put screws in his knee to piece it back together. I was really worried for him.  I was not sure if he would ever play the game of basketball again, a game in which we both love.  Then came another blow,  the doctors found the same condition in his other knee, he had to have surgery again, to prevent a catastrophic injury that could potentially leave him with a limp.   Luckily, after lots of physical therapy and rehabilitation, he slowly got back to the game. And I was able to see him play incredibly in his junior and senior year in high school.  When he left for college, it was a tough time.  I no longer got to see him everyday.  The void I felt was irreplaceable.  However, now I look forward to when he comes home.  And to summers with him and our family. We have a basketball court in our backyard.  When I am practicing outside, I picture him out there next to me, guiding me, giving me advice, like he does when he is really next to me. When he left for college I was not able to interact with him like I used to.  He was busy getting adjusted to school and I had to rely on phone calls and texts messages.  When I look at pictures of our favorite times I am conflicted between great memories and sadness of not having as much time with him as I always did. Whenever I see us together I am reminded of all the great memories we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment